Bachelor of Education (BEd) – Edgewood College
Initial Teacher Education
For those interested in teaching as a career should note that there are two routes that lead to professional qualification:
1. The Bachelor of Education (BEd) which is a four-year undergraduate programme of study that integrates academic and professional training.
2. The Postgraduate Certificate in Education: PGCE ( formally known as the Higher Diploma in Education or HDE) which is a one-year postgradutate programme that follows (or ‘caps’) a suitable degree.
The Bachelor of Education (BEd) is a four year, vocationally specific, professional degree that integrates, from the first year, both the academic study and the professional preparation required to be a teacher.
Successful completion of the programme qualifies the student for registration with the South African Council for Educators (SACE) and for employment in South African schools as an educator at REQV 14 level. Increasingly the qualification is attracting students from neighbouring countries. In addition to serving as an initial qualification to teach, successful completion of the degree provides students with the opportunity to continue their study of education at a postgraduate level.
Entrance requirements: http://applications.ukzn.ac.za/Homepage.aspx
- Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood Development including Foundation Phase) Edgewood (KN-E-EDK)
- Bachelor of Education (Foundation and Intermediate Phases) Edgewood (KN-E-EDI)
- Bachelor of Education (Intermediate and Senior Phase) Edgewood (KN-E-EDO)
- Bachelor of Education (Senior Phase General Education and Training (GET) Pietermaritzburg (KN-P-EDL)
- Bachelor of Education (Senior Phase Further Education and Training (FET) Edgewood (KN-E-EDF) & Pietermaritzburg (KN-P-EDF)
- Bachelor of Education (Further Education & Training) Edgewood (KN-E-EDJ) & Pietermaritzburg (KN-P- EDJ)