Attorneys admission Board Exams for 2021: Attorneys and advocates in South Africa are registered with the Legal Practice Council in terms of the Legal Practice Act 28 of 2014. Since 1998 the Law Society of South Africa (LSSA) has represented the attorneys’ profession.
There are currently some 27 200 practising attorneys and 7 000 candidate attorneys in South Africa. Attorneys are officers of the court and are registered on the roll of attorneys at the Legal Practice Council.
Board Exams and Dates
Competency-Based Examinations for Admission as an Attorney
- First session: 17 and 18 March2021
- Second session: 17 and 18 August 2021
Competency-Based Examination for Admission as a Conveyancer
- 7 April 2021 Paper 1 Statutes and case law applicable to conveyancing
- 14 April 2021 Paper 2 The practice and procedure of conveyancing. Drafting of deeds, certificates, applications, consents, agreements and other documents.
Competency-Based Examination for Admission as a Notary
- First session: 8 April 2021
- Second session: 2 September 2021
Exam Format for Legal Practitioner
Candidates are allowed 15 minutes to peruse the paper before starting to answer the questions. No candidate may start writing in the answer book during this period. The areas of practice to be assessed remain much the same.
High court procedure; Magistrate’s court procedure.
This paper is written on the first day of the examinations usually in the morning session approximately from 09:00.
The winding up and distribution of deceased estates (drafting of wills, succession). This paper is written on the first day of the examinations usually in the afternoon session approximately from 14:00.
The practice, duties, ethics, and functions of a Legal Practitioner.
This paper is written on the second day of the examinations in the morning session, approximately from 09:00.
Bookkeeping for Legal Practitioners.
This paper is written on the second day of the examinations in the afternoon session approximately from 14:00
Register for the examinations
Registration for all the above examinations is with the Legal Practice Council – ensure that you register before the deadline set by the Legal Practice Council:
- Gauteng provincial office: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: (012) 338 5829
- Western Cape provincial office: email@example.com Tel: (021) 21 443 6700
- KwaZulu-Natal provincial office: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: (033) 345 345 1304
- Free State provincial office: email@example.com Tel: (051) 447 3237
- Eastern Cape provincial office: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: (043) 050 1025
- Limpopo provincial office: email@example.com Tel: (015) 590 0389
- North West provincial office: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: (018) 011 0093
- Northen Cape provincial office: email@example.com Tel: (053) 050 0508/9
- Mpumalanga provincial office: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: (017) 200 2487