Can I Do Adult Matric when I’m 20 Years Old?
Yes, you can definitely do adult matric when you’re 20 years old. In South Africa, adult matric, also known as the Senior Certificate (Amended), is designed for individuals who are 21 years and older. However, if you’re 20, you might still be eligible to enroll, especially if you turn 21 in the year of the examination.
Here’s a little more info:
- Eligibility: Usually, candidates who are 21 years or older during the year of the exam are eligible. If you’re 20, check with the Department of Basic Education or a local education center for any exceptions or specific conditions.
- Registration: You can register for adult matric at various public and private institutions that offer adult education. Registration typically opens early in the year, and it’s important to meet the deadlines.
- Study Options: Many institutions provide classes to prepare for the exams, or you can choose to study independently. Distance learning options are also available.
- Exams: The exams are usually conducted in line with the regular matric schedule, typically towards the end of the year.
Completing your matric can open up many opportunities for further study and employment. It’s a great step forward, and being proactive about your education is always commendable. If you decide to go for it, I wish you all the best in your studies and exams!
Table of Contents
Facts on Repeating Matric
Repeating matric, often referred to as a “matric upgrade” or “rewriting matric”, is a common choice for students who want to improve their results. Here are 10 notable facts about the process in South Africa:
- Eligibility for Repeating: Students who have already completed their National Senior Certificate (NSC) or matric exams are eligible to repeat matric. This includes those who want to improve their grades or those who did not pass initially.
- Subject Choices: You can choose to rewrite all your subjects or just select ones. This flexibility allows you to focus on areas where you need improvement.
- Registration Deadlines: There are specific deadlines for registering to rewrite matric exams. These usually fall in the first quarter of the year.
- Exam Dates: Matric rewrites typically happen alongside the regular matric exams, which are usually scheduled towards the end of the year.
- Age Limit: There is no upper age limit for rewriting matric. This makes it a viable option for adults looking to improve their qualifications.
- Continuous Assessment (CASS) Scores: Your Continuous Assessment (School-Based Assessment) scores from your previous matric year are usually carried over when you rewrite. However, if you’re rewriting after a few years, check the latest policies.
- Accredited Institutions: It’s important to register through an accredited institution or directly through the Department of Basic Education.
- Fees: There may be fees associated with rewriting, depending on the institution and the number of subjects you choose to rewrite.
- Study Material and Support: Many institutions offer classes, study guides, and resources to help prepare for the exams. However, self-study is also a common approach.
- Impact on Tertiary Education Applications: Improved matric results can enhance your chances of getting into higher education programs or qualifying for specific career paths.
Remember, the specific rules and processes can vary slightly, so it’s a good idea to check the latest information from the Department of Basic Education or the education institution you are considering. Repeating matric can be a significant step towards achieving your educational and career goals, and it’s great to see you gathering information about it!
Don’t miss these:
APS Score Calculator
Did You See These?
- Matric Rewrite Schools in Alberton: A Second Chance for Success
- School to Repeat Your Matric in Mthatha: A Second Chance at Success
- Star School Fees for Matric Rewrite
- The Easiest VS Harder Matric Subjects Based on Pass Rate
- How to Calculate Matric APS Score Points
- How Long does it Take to Combine Matric Statements?
- How can you Apply for a Replacement Copy of your Damaged or Lost Matric Certificate
Send Us a WhatsApp Message
065 380 8708
My Courses Editor