Fashion Production Course at UJ: The student obtaining this qualification will demonstrate competency in analysing and applying the principles of the fashion system from production through to consumption in order to meet market demands.
The programme is structured to produce outcomes demonstrated by the student’s ability to:
- Develop and apply a production strategy that reflects market research, design development, branding, marketing, merchandising and distribution of a product range that meets the needs of an identified fashion target market.
- Apply advanced textile application, manual skills and computer technology (CAD/CAM) to the manufacturing processes of a diverse range of fashion products.
- Develop technical packages that analyse, solve and communicate problems related to technical product development and quality improvement of fashion products.
- Apply business, personnel and operations management principles to enhance quality, productivity and profitability related to fashion manufacturing.
- Conduct basic research in a selected specialised area of the fashion supply chain: technical product development; textile technology and application; production and quality systems; marketing and branding; material and product sourcing; and adoption and consumption of fashion items.
The programme will equip you with the necessary knowledge and skills for a career in the fashion industry, including:
- Career opportunities in retail, for example, buying and merchandising
- Pattern-maker and/or grader – manual and CAD-assisted
- Garment technologist
- Quality assurance
- Production coordinating
- Senior certificate or equivalent qualification with a minimum APS or M-score
- Attendance of an entrance assessment
- Compulsory school subject: English
Recommended school subjects for Fashion Production include Design Studies, Business Economics and Mathematics.