How much financial support can you expect from the Funza Lushaka Bursary? What benefits are included? Is it enough to cover all your educational expenses? These are pivotal questions for aspiring educators in South Africa considering the Funza Lushaka Bursary. In this article, we explore the financial details, shedding light on how much the bursary pays per student and what expenses are covered.
- The bursary comprehensively covers accommodation fees, meal allowance, learning materials, and a R600 per month stipend for basic living expenses.
- The Funza Lushaka Bursary Scheme supports students entering the teaching field, offering tuition fees and a small stipend for living expenses.
- It is a multi-year programme designed to encourage teaching as a profession, providing bursaries for students to complete teaching qualifications in priority areas.
- The National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) manages the programme on behalf of the Department of Basic Education, with administration through the Student Financial Aid office at each higher education institution.
- It funds students pursuing a Bachelor of Education (BEd) and Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE), making it ideal for those aiming to contribute to the vital field of education in South Africa.
Table of Contents
How Much Does Funza Lushaka Bursary Pay Per Student? Uncover the Financial Benefits!
Funza Lushaka pays per student by offering a full-cost bursary that aims to cover all major educational expenses. The bursary generally includes 100% of approved tuition fees, accommodation at university- or college-approved residences, an allowance for books and learning materials, as well as certain meal allowances. Some students may also receive a monthly allowance for miscellaneous expenses. The exact amount varies depending on factors such as the institution attended and the course of study, but there is generally no fixed cap on the bursary amount. Therefore, the financial support is substantial, making it a significant aid for aspiring teachers in South Africa.
What is the Funza Lushaka Bursary?
Before we get into the financial specifics, let’s briefly discuss what the Funza Lushaka Bursary is. It is a programme aimed at promoting teaching as a profession in South Africa. Administered by the National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS), it provides full-cost bursaries to talented students who wish to become teachers.
Financial Support: The Numbers
The Funza Lushaka Bursary offers full-cost bursaries, which means it aims to cover all major expenses related to your education. The amount paid varies depending on various factors such as the institution you attend and the course you are studying. However, the bursary generally covers the following:
- Tuition Fees: The bursary pays 100% of the approved tuition fees directly to the higher education institution.
- Accommodation: The bursary also covers accommodation expenses, usually at university- or college-approved residences.
- Books and Learning Material: An allowance for textbooks and other learning resources is provided.
- Meals: Certain meal allowances are also part of the bursary, particularly if you are residing in a university or college residence.
- Miscellaneous/Cash Allowance: Some students may also receive a monthly allowance for miscellaneous expenses.
Is There a Cap on the Amount?
There is generally no fixed cap on the bursary amount, as it is a full-cost bursary. However, each higher education institution may have its guidelines, which could impact the exact amount allocated.
How to Apply?
Applications for the Funza Lushaka Bursary are typically open towards the end of the year, with most institutions adhering to a January deadline. To apply, you will need to visit the official Funza Lushaka Bursary website or the NSFAS website and follow the application process.
Conclusion: Is it Worth it?
With its focus on covering all essential educational expenses, the Funza Lushaka Bursary provides substantial financial support for aspiring teachers. The lack of a fixed cap on the bursary amount also offers some flexibility, making it a worthwhile opportunity for those looking to pursue a career in education.
By understanding the financial details, you can make an informed decision on whether the Funza Lushaka Bursary is the right fit for you. Given the comprehensive support it offers, many find it an invaluable resource in their educational journey.
Don’t miss these:
APS Score Calculator
Did You See These?
- How to Write a N + 1 Motivational Letter for NSFAS Appeal in 2024
- List of Colleges Funded by NSFAS in 2024 – 2025
- NRF Closing Date for 2024
- Potato Industry Bursary Program
- What Type of Financial Aid is NSFAS?
- Financial aid for international students in South Africa
- Do you Know How Much Does Funza Lushaka Give to Students Per Month?
- Contextual Factors Contributing to the #feesmustfall Movement
Send Us a WhatsApp Message
065 380 8708
My Courses Editor