Importance of school-based assessment in South Africa (Life Orientation Grade 12 answers). On this page, reasons and purposes on why school based assessment is important for a grade 12 learner are explored. These notes will assist learners on how to do well in school-based assessment.
What is an assessment?
- An assessment is a continuous planned process of gathering information on achievement.
Why do we assess?
Reasons and advantages for assessments:
- To indicate clearly what needs to be achieved and to inform the learner about the areas of study that need more attention. This will help improve the standard of their work.
- To identify how a learner cope with new knowledge, content and skills.
- To specify whether a learner needs to do extra work or not.
- An assessment is an important tool to identify the development of a learner’s potential.
The process of Assessment
An assessment has both positive and negative impacts on the learner.
- May increase anxiety due to the fear of failure (e.g. negative impact).
- Might be excited as a result of obtaining a high score in a particular task (e.g. positive impact).
Types of Assessments:
- Baseline assessment-Usuallytakesplaceinthebeginningoftheyearorwhen starting something new e.g. topic. It is useful for both a learner and a teacher.
- Formative assessment-Tochecktheprogressofthelearneronacertaintopic.
- Summative assessment-Usuallyhappensattheendoftheproject,termor year.
- Self-assessment and peer-assessment-Thisprovidesthelearneran opportunity to assess himself or classmates.
An Important Tool for Assessment Preparation
- Mindmap-Linkinformationinalogicalwaythatwillhelpalearnertoremember the information.
- Summary-Alearnercansummariseinformationbywritingonlytheimportant sentences of a paragraph.
- Mnemonic- Song creation can be used with a rhythm will help a learner to remember more information.
- Table-Alearnermightdesignatablewillhelphim/hertoorganiseinformationin a logical connected way.
- Flashcards-Smallcardsorpiecesofpaperonwhichthelearnwriteskeypoints and short bits of information.
- Be colourful- Use different colours to highlight important points in your notes or flashcards.
- Move about – Walk around while reading or repeating your notes on your flashcards
- Role-play -Role-play being the teacher and explain the work to others.
- Study to music and rhythm – tap your foot while reciting your notes
Importance of School Based Assessment Questions
- Define the term assessment.
- What is School-based assessment(SBA)?
- What is school-based assessment in South Africa?
- In your view can SBA assist in reducing pressure of the examination?
- Again, in your view, does SBA help the learning process, say why?
- How many types of SBA are there, name them?
- Most importantly, who administers, scores and records SBA?