Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University Online Application for 2021: Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (NMMU) opened on 1 January 2005, the result of the merging of the PE Technikon the University of Port Elizabeth (UPE) and the Port Elizabeth campus of Vista University (Vista PE).
The PE Technikon has its roots in the country’s oldest art school, the PE Art School founded in 1882; the University of Port Elizabeth (UPE), the country’s first dual-medium residential university, came into being on 31 January 1964; and the Port Elizabeth campus of Vista university, which opened up access to higher education for disadvantaged students.
The union of these institutions came about as a result of government’s countrywide restructuring of higher education – intended to deliver a more equitable and efficient system to meet the needs of South Africa, the continent and the world in the 21st century.
On 20 July 2017, Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University was officially renamed Nelson Mandela University: the only higher education institution in the world to carry the name of Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela. The name change provided an opportunity for the institution to rebrand and position itself continentally and globally, while also allowing it to usher in a new era of renewed vigour towards meaningful transformation.
Nelson Mandela University is today a sought-after educational destination and the most diverse university in South Africa.
Application Information at NMU for 2021
Prospective undergraduate, postgraduate and international students who wish to join Nelson Mandela University in 2021 are invited to apply online.
In order to ensure adequate time for application, processing and planning by the university and yourself, applications for late admission in 2021 should be submitted by 14 November 2020.
Please note, places in some qualifications are limited, and it is therefore in your best interest to submit your online application form and ALL supporting documentation before 14 November 2020.
Before completing an online application form, please take note of the minimum admission requirements for the qualification that you are applying for or refer to the relevant faculty guide.
Reserve List (September 2020)
The University is opening Undergraduate applications again for qualifications which are currently full. If you wish to apply or have already applied and wish to change/add a full programme, please review the categories below and follow the instructions based on your application type. Please note by applying for a full programme it does not mean that you will be admitted. Your application will be added to a reserve list if you meet the direct entry requirements for consideration by the faculty should places become available. There is no guarantee for admission to any full qualification(s) and we strongly advise you to select an alternative study option as well.
How to apply online at NMU for 2021
- Your online application form must be accompanied by:
- a copy of your final Grade 11 exam results or;
- the most recent Grade 12 (June/Sept) exam results (no March results), or
- a copy of your matriculation certificate/statement of results if you have already passed Grade 12/completed schooling,
- copies of your diploma/degree certificates plus academic record(s) and certificate(s) of conduct if you have studied elsewhere,
- a copy of your ID (birth certificate if still waiting for ID),
- a copy of the identity document of your parent/legal guardian/surety,
- declaration by your parent / legal guardian / surety if you are a dependent, or currently at school, or studying at a tertiary institution, or have recently left school and do/will not have permanent employment when applying or studying at the university.
- If your Applicant Score (AS) and subject specific marks do not meet the entry requirements for your chosen programme, you will need to consider another qualification as we no longer test applicants for admission.
- Some programmes have additional selection requirements; please consult the Undergraduate Guide for your faculty specific requirements.
- You may track the status of your application.
- The outcome of your application will be conveyed to you via our website and sms. Please ensure that we have your correct cell phone number.
- If you are admitted you will receive an Orientation Booklet together with registration information in November/December.
- Final acceptance is depended on:
- your final school leaving results meeting the minimum admission requirements for your chosen programme, or
- the submission of your final academic record and certificate of conduct if you are studying elsewhere.
What Courses are offered at Nelson Mandela University (NMU)
Browse courses per career field below: