Would you like to study at University of Kwazulu Natal (UKZN) in 2019 academic year? Below are the steps and crucial information you need.
Undergraduate Application Procedures for First Time South African Applicants
Semester 1: January 2019
- ORIf you are a South African citizen and currently in Grade 12 or have completed.
your National Senior Certificate or Senior Certificate and have never studied at UKZN before,
you have to make application to UKZN by completing a Central Application Office (CAO)
- If you are currently registered (or have been registered) at another institution for undergraduate studies and wish to apply for a transfer to UKZN, you must also complete the CAO application form.
Where To Obtain A CAO Form
- CAO website click on link www.cao.ac.za to download OR
- Contact the CAO on 031 268 4444 OR
- Apply on line: consult www.cao.ac.za OR
- Write to firstname.lastname@example.org OR
- Application fee payable to CAO R220 on-time and R440 for late applications
Closing Dates For South African Citizens
- Semester 1 (January intake)• Grade 12 learners must submit certified copies of their Grade 11 results (plus any available Grade 12 results) and their ID documents with the applications.
- Applicant wishing to transfer from other Universities must submit certified copies of their National Senior Certificates/Senior certificates as well as complete academic transcripts from their previous/current Universities with their applications.
- Medicine: 30 June : No late applications are accepted.
- All other programmes: 30 September.
Undergraduate Application Requirements for UKZN
|1. National Senior Certificate or Senior Certificate|
1.1 Applicants to undergraduate degree programmes must be in possession of a National Senior Certificate for Degree Studies (NSC-Deg) or a Senior Certificate with endorsement.
1.2 Applicants to undergraduate diploma programmes must be in possession of a National Senior Certificate for Diploma studies (NSC-Dip) or Senior Certificate.
|2. Medium of Instruction|
The medium of instruction at UKZN is English, and UKZN requires a pass in English (Home Language or First Additional Language (FAL)) at Level 4 (50% or above) but note that the College of Law requires a pass in English Home language at Level 5 or English as FAL on Level 6. For admission to Diplomas or Alternative Access programmes a lower performance in English may be acceptable. In the Senior Certificate a pass for English at First or Second Language HG E is required.
|3. Life Orientation|
UKZN degree programmes require a pass in Life orientation at Level 4. Access Programmes may consider a pass at Level 3.
|4. Minimum Composite Academic Performance Score|
(NSC-Deg and Senior Certificate)
Each programme has determined a minimum composite Academic Performance Score required for admission to the programme. This is however the minimum score required for consideration and learners just meeting this minimum cannot be assured of admission. Applicants to programmes are ranked according to APS and selection is done from the top down until the number of places available in the specific programme is filled. Competition for places is high and it is unlikely that applicants not meeting the APS for a specific programme will be considered.
|5. Subject requirements and Levels of Performance|
In addition subject requirements and minimum Levels of performance in specific subjects are set for admission to UKZN programmes. Applicants who did not include the correct subjects in their NSC-Deg or who did not obtain the required level of performance in specific subjects required for admission to a programme, will not be considered.