Table of Contents
Wits University Fees for Medicine and Other Medical Courses
Heading off to university is a big deal, especially when you’re diving into the world of health sciences. At Wits University, the Faculty of Health Sciences offers a broad range of medical courses, each designed to prepare students for a rewarding career in healthcare.
Wits University Fees for Medicine
Let’s break down the fees for these courses, focusing on what you’d typically expect to pay for the first year of study. And yes, we’ll shine a spotlight on medicine studies because we know how many dreamers out there are itching to don those white coats and make a difference.
Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBCh) Study Fees at Wits
If you’re aiming to become a doctor, the MBBCh program is your golden ticket. At Wits, the first-year tuition fee for this course is roughly around R73,910 (based on the 2024 fee guide). It’s a hefty price tag, but considering it’s your first step towards saving lives, it’s an investment worth making. Remember, this fee doesn’t include additional charges, so you’ll need to budget for books, equipment, and possibly a caffeine drip for those late-night study sessions.
Dental Science, Pharmacy, and More
Not everyone’s medical dream involves becoming a doctor, and Wits has plenty of other options:
- Bachelor of Dental Science (BDS): Got an eye for smiles? This course will set you back R73,950 or more for the first year.
- Bachelor of Pharmacy (BPharm): If you’re into meds but not keen on surgery, pharmacy might be up your alley, with first-year fees at R53,720.
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy (GEPP) and Bachelor of Science in Physiotherapy: For those into getting people moving again, these courses cost around R53,830 and R63,400, respectively.
Nursing, Occupational Therapy, and Health Sciences
- Bachelor of Nursing (BNurs): Nurses are the backbone of healthcare. First-year fees for nursing are R55,100.
- Bachelor of Science in Occupational Therapy: If helping people live fuller lives post-injury is your call, it’s R64,490 for the first year.
- Bachelor of Health Sciences: This broad field offers various specializations with a first-year fee of R72,040.
Special Mention: Registration with the Health Profession Council of South Africa (HPCSA)
For the real deal courses like MBBCh, BDS, and others that qualify you to work directly with patients, you’ll need to register with the HPCSA. This is non-negotiable. You’ll pay this fee directly to them before you even start at Wits, and you must show proof of this payment when you register for classes. The exact fee varies, so check with the Faculty for the latest figures.
Wrapping It Up
Studying medicine and other health sciences at Wits isn’t cheap, but it’s an investment in a future where you can make a real difference. Whether you’re set on being a doctor or find your calling in another corner of the healthcare world, these courses are your first step towards a career filled with challenges, learning, and the genuine satisfaction of helping others. Be sure to budget beyond tuition fees for all the extras, and get ready for an incredible journey at Wits University.
Here’s a summary table of the first-year tuition fees for various health sciences courses at Wits University, excluding additional charges:
|First-Year Tuition Fee (ZAR)
|Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBCh)
|R73,910 or more
|Bachelor of Dental Science (BDS)
|R73,950 or more
|Bachelor of Nursing (BNurs)
|R55,100 or more
|Bachelor of Pharmacy (BPharm)
|R53,720 or more
|Bachelor of Physiotherapy (GEPP)
|R53,830 or more
|Bachelor of Health Sciences (BHSci – BBHN)
|R72,040 or more
|Bachelor of Science in Occupational Therapy (BSc – OT)
|R64,490 or more
|Bachelor of Science in Physiotherapy (BSc – Physiotherapy)
|R63,400 or more
|Bachelor of Clinical Medical Practice (BCMP)
|R64,370 or more
|Bachelor of Oral Health Sciences (BOHSc)
|R54,760 or more
Remember, these fees are for the first year of study and do not include additional costs like books, equipment, or registration fees with professional councils such as the HPCSA. Always check for the most current fees and additional costs to ensure you’re fully prepared for your studies at Wits University.
Don’t miss these:
APS Score Calculator
Did You See These?
- What is an APS Score for Nursing at Wits? Minimum Requirements
- Wits University Engineering courses
- Wits 2024 Online Applications and Requirements
- Biochemistry Study Requirements at Wits
- BA in Dramatic Art at Wits
Latest Wits Student Vacancies: Your Pathway to Professional Experience
- Wits Medical School entry requirements
- Wits University admission requirements for Engineering
Send Us a WhatsApp Message
065 380 8708
My Courses Editor