In a rapidly expanding city like Johannesburg, the demand for emergency medical services is continually on the rise. Becoming a paramedic not only serves a critical function in the community but also offers a fulfilling and dynamic career path. This article aims to guide you through the available paramedic courses in Johannesburg, helping you make an informed decision.
Table of Contents
What Does a Paramedic Do?
Paramedics are trained healthcare professionals who provide medical attention to emergencies outside of a hospital setting. They are often the first responders to emergency calls, handling everything from trauma and heart attacks to childbirths in often stressful conditions. Their work can save lives and make a significant difference in patients’ outcomes.
Types of Paramedic Qualifications
In South Africa, there are typically three types of paramedic qualifications:
- Basic Ambulance Assistant (BAA): This is an entry-level qualification that covers basic life support skills.
- Ambulance Emergency Assistant (AEA): Also known as Intermediate Life Support, this involves more advanced skills like administering intravenous fluids.
- Critical Care Assistant (CCA): This is the highest level of paramedic training, covering advanced life support techniques, including advanced airway management and the administration of a range of emergency medications.
Best Paramedic Courses in Johannesburg
Educational Institutions Offering Paramedic Courses in Johannesburg:
1. Netcare Education
Location: Situated in Auckland Park, Johannesburg, Netcare Education stands out as a leading provider of healthcare education, offering state-of-the-art facilities and a conducive learning environment.
- BAA (Basic Ambulance Assistant): This entry-level course serves as a gateway into the world of emergency medical services, providing foundational knowledge and practical skills.
- AEA (Ambulance Emergency Assistant): For those looking to advance their skills, the AEA course offers deeper insights and more complex techniques in emergency care.
- CCA (Critical Care Assistant): This comprehensive program is designed for individuals aiming to specialize in critical care, preparing them for high-stakes environments.
Duration: The duration of courses varies, starting from a concise 4-week program for BAA, extending to a 2-year immersive experience for those pursuing the CCA qualification.
2. Emergency Medical Training
Location: Located in Randburg, Johannesburg, this institution is dedicated to providing top-tier emergency medical training, ensuring students are well-prepared for real-world challenges.
- BAA (Basic Ambulance Assistant): A foundational course designed to introduce students to the basics of emergency medical care.
- AEA (Ambulance Emergency Assistant): This program builds on the BAA course, offering advanced training and skill development for emergency situations.
Duration: The BAA course can be completed in 4 to 6 weeks, while the AEA program spans 3 to 6 months, offering flexibility to accommodate different learning paces.
3. University of Johannesburg
Location: With its campus in Auckland Park, Johannesburg, the University of Johannesburg provides a comprehensive academic environment for higher education in emergency medical care.
- Degree in Emergency Medical Care: This four-year degree program offers an in-depth exploration of emergency medical care, combining theoretical knowledge with practical application.
Duration: The program is spread over four years, allowing students to delve deeply into the subject matter and gain extensive hands-on experience.
4. Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University
Location: Although based in Pretoria, this university is easily accessible from Johannesburg and is renowned for its focus on health sciences, including emergency medical care.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Emergency Medical Care: This program is designed to equip students with a comprehensive understanding of emergency medical services, from basic care to advanced life-saving techniques.
5. ER24 Training Academy
Location: Nestled in Paulshof, Johannesburg, ER24 Training Academy is part of South Africa’s premier private emergency medical care providers, offering an immersive learning experience with access to real-world emergency care situations.
- BAA (Basic Ambulance Assistant): A foundational course designed to introduce participants to emergency medical services.
- AEA (Ambulance Emergency Assistant): A more advanced program that builds upon the skills acquired in the BAA course.
- Specialized Short Courses: Including Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) and Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS), these courses are aimed at healthcare professionals looking to enhance their skills in specific areas of emergency care.
Duration: The BAA program can be completed in 4 weeks, while the duration for AEA and specialized courses varies, extending to several months depending on the specific course.
6. Life College of Learning
Location: With various campuses across Johannesburg, Life College of Learning is part of the Life Healthcare Group, one of South Africa’s largest private healthcare providers, offering a broad spectrum of training programs.
- BAA, AEA, and CCA (Critical Care Assistant): These programs offer a step-by-step progression for those looking to advance their careers in emergency medical services.
- Specialized Courses: Catering to a range of interests and professional development needs within the field of emergency care.
Duration: Starting from 4 weeks for the BAA program, the courses extend to 3-6 months for AEA and up to 2 years for those pursuing a CCA qualification.
7. Rescu-Life Africa
Location: Situated in Kempton Park, Johannesburg, Rescu-Life Africa is renowned for its comprehensive approach to emergency medical training, offering a variety of courses tailored to different levels of expertise.
- BAA (Basic Ambulance Assistant) and AEA (Ambulance Emergency Assistant): Providing essential training for those starting out or looking to advance in the field of emergency medical services.
- Various First Aid Levels and Fire Fighting: These additional courses offer valuable skills for emergency situations, broadening the scope of training available to students.
Duration: The BAA course is designed to be completed in 4 weeks, with the AEA program ranging from 3-6 months, allowing students to gain in-depth knowledge and practical experience.
8. College of Emergency Care
Location: The College of Emergency Care is located in Mulbarton, Johannesburg South, offering a serene yet accessible location for students from various parts of the city and beyond.
- BAA (Basic Ambulance Assistant): A foundational course aimed at introducing participants to the basics of emergency medical services.
- AEA (Ambulance Emergency Assistant): This course builds on the BAA, offering advanced training for more complex emergency situations.
- Critical Care Paramedic Courses: Designed for those looking to specialize further, these courses delve into the intricacies of critical care within the paramedic field.
Duration: The BAA course is completed in 4 weeks, offering a quick start into the emergency medical services field, while the Critical Care Paramedic Courses extend up to 2 years, providing comprehensive training for advanced practitioners.
9. Health Science Academy
Location: Situated in Erasmuskloof, Pretoria, the Health Science Academy is easily accessible from Johannesburg and serves as a prime institution for emergency medical training.
- BAA (Basic Ambulance Assistant) and AEA (Ambulance Emergency Assistant): These programs cater to those at the beginning and intermediate levels of their emergency medical careers.
- Specialized Short Courses: The academy also offers a range of short courses focusing on specific areas of emergency medical care, enhancing the skills and knowledge of healthcare professionals.
Duration: The BAA program can be completed in 4 weeks, with the AEA course taking 3-6 months. Short courses vary in length from several days to weeks, depending on the subject matter.
10. Dynamic Emergency Medical Services
Location: Based in Centurion, Dynamic Emergency Medical Services is well-positioned to serve students from Johannesburg and the surrounding areas, offering a strategic location for training.
- BAA (Basic Ambulance Assistant) and AEA (Ambulance Emergency Assistant): These foundational and intermediate courses provide essential training for aspiring emergency medical service providers.
- Specialized Training: Including Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) and Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS), these specialized courses are aimed at healthcare professionals seeking to enhance their expertise in critical care areas.
Duration: The BAA course is designed to be completed in 4 weeks, offering a swift entry into the field. Specialized courses span several months, providing in-depth training in specific emergency care techniques.
- Basic Ambulance Assistant (BAA): A Grade 10 certificate or equivalent and a Code 10 driver’s license.
- Ambulance Emergency Assistant (AEA): Completion of the BAA course, plus one year of working experience.
- Critical Care Assistant (CCA): Completion of the AEA course, plus two years of working experience.
- Degree in Emergency Medical Care: Matriculation with science and mathematics, and a valid driver’s license.
Upon completion of these courses, you’ll be eligible for employment with private ambulance services, fire departments, hospitals, and emergency medical service providers.
Becoming a paramedic is a noble and rewarding profession that offers the chance to make a real difference in people’s lives. Johannesburg, being a large city with diverse medical needs, offers multiple institutions where you can obtain the training you need to enter this vital field. So, if you’re based in Johannesburg and interested in becoming a paramedic, you have a variety of options available to start your journey in this fulfilling career.
Don’t miss these:
APS Score Calculator
Did You See These?
Send Us a WhatsApp Message
065 380 8708
My Courses Editor