Potato Industry Bursary Program
The Potato Industry Development Trust (PIDT) invites applications from students who wish to pursue their post graduate studies in the field of Agriculture.
Applications from students who have an interest in pursuing a research in a potato related field will receive priority. Students with a good academic standing and who wish to further their studies can request an application form from email@example.com or may download the application from the website.
The closing date for applications is 31 October 2017 and students who have not been contacted by the 31st of January 2018 must regard their application as being unsuccessful.
The Potato Industry Development Trust, through Potatoes South Africa, provides bursaries to diploma, undergraduate and post graduate students studying agriculture at a tertiary institution in South Africa. The primary goals for providing these bursaries are as follows:
Diploma and undergraduate studies
- To provide talented young students the opportunity to develop their skills and thereby enhance the
technical capacity of these enterprises.
- To provide other deserving students who wish to enter the agricultural industry the opportunity to
obtain an appropriate qualification and develop technical skills to find employment in the industry.
- To make a contribution towards ensuring that well qualified scientists are developed to address the research needs of the potato industry.
- To increase the potato industry’s pool of knowledge.
Who can apply?Diploma and undergraduate studies
- Second year students in the field of agriculture.
- Students with excellent academic standing.
- South African citizens.
- Must provide official proof of registration at a South African tertiary institution.
- Honours, Masters and PhD students in the field of agriculture – potatoes. (Masters and PhD students to submit a potato related research proposal.)
- Must have excellent academic standing.
- South African citizens.
- Proof of registration at an appropriate South African university
Conditions of the bursary
After completion of the studies the student must work for a potato industry related company, organisation or institution in the Republic of South Africa as approved by the Potato Industry Development Trust equivalent to the period of the bursary.
All students are given the opportunities to get to know the potato industry through an annual induction programme that takes place in April. The program includes visits to a fresh produce market, a potato farm, a processing plant and research facilities. Diploma and undergraduate students will be given the opportunity to enhance their skills through an internship (for disciplines requiring practical training and exposure as part of their qualification condition) and a workplace experience program to enhance their employment opportunities.