On this page you will find Grade 12 Geography map work questions and answers, with notes. You will also find Geography map work Memorandum for Grade 12 for : 2022, 2021,2020, and previous years.
Table of Contents
Key focus areas for Geography map work
In Geography Map work, the following are the key focal points:
- Map scale: the relationship between a distance on a map and the corresponding distance on the earth
- calculating distance,
- calculating area,
- finding places by means of bearings,
- magnetic declination,
- magnetic bearing,
- calculating speed,
- distance and time,
- how to construct a cross-section,
- calculating gradient,
- vertical exaggeration,
- calculating the scale of vertical aerial photographs as well as drainage density.
EXAM TIP: You need to practise converting scales from linear to word (statement) to ratios. Scales and distances are important in settlement geography, not just in physical geography, because of what they can tell us about the location, distribution, and relative closeness/distance of human features on a map or orthophoto map.
Map Work Video Lesson for Grade 12
Comprehensive Notes on Map Work for Geography Grade 12
As a geographer, it is important to determine the exact location of phenomenon on the earth’s surface. To do this we make use of what is termed as the coordinate system.
Latitude and longitude
- Special imaginary lines are used to describe where places are found in the world.
- These imaginary lines are called lines of latitude and lines of longitude.
- Lines of latitude run parallel with the equator. The 0° line of latitude is the equator and goes all the way around the globe. It divides the earth into a northern and southern hemisphere.
- The 0° line of longitude runs parallel with the Greenwich meridian. The Greenwich meridian divides earth into a western and eastern hemisphere
Download mapwork grade 12 pdf: Notes and questions:
Map work booklet pdf
Map work Learner book pdf
Geography Telematics pdf
Geography map work Memorandum for Grade 12
Geography map work Memorandums for Grade 12 can be obtained from previous exam papers with their memos below:
Search Geography Grade 12 Study Resources
Looking for something in particular?
Search and find some of the useful resources for Grade 12 Geography including: Past Papers, Exercises, Class Assessments Plans, Assignments and Answers, Research Tasks, Essays Topics and more. Resources are for all terms: Term 1, Term 2, Term 3, and Term 4.
Other Great Resources for Geography Map Work Lessons
Don’t miss these:
APS Score Calculator
Did You See These?
- Importance of obtaining the National Senior certificate NSC in South Africa
- Four Factors that make the Troposphere Perfect for Life on Earth
- 7 Reasons Why Long-distance Aircraft Choose to Fly in the Lower Part of the Stratosphere
- Why do Cartographers only name some of the contour lines on maps
- DNA Notes: The part in which DNA will be Found in a Eukaryotic Cell
- Why Businesses Have More Control Over Macro Environment
- Mathematical Literacy (Maths Lit) Grade 11 Questions and Answers 2020
- Geography Grade 12 September 2023 Question Paper and Memo PDF
Send Us a WhatsApp Message
065 380 8708
My Courses Editor