Table of Contents
Careers for Geography with Pure Mathematics Subject Choice: Study Options
Wondering how a combination of Geography and Pure Mathematics can guide your future career direction?
In South African high schools, choosing Geography alongside Pure Mathematics for Grades 10 to 12 offers a powerful blend of spatial awareness, environmental understanding, and analytical skills. This combination is particularly valuable for careers that require a strong grasp of both the physical world and quantitative analysis. Let’s explore some of the career paths this unique pairing can lead to and suggest additional subjects that could complement your studies for specific career trajectories.
1. Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Specialist
- Overview: Involves the use of GIS technology to collect, analyze, and interpret location-based data.
- Recommended Additional Subject: Computer Applications Technology (CAT) for enhanced skills in software and data analysis.
- Institutions: Consider studying at institutions like the University of Pretoria or the University of Stellenbosch.
2. Urban and Regional Planning
- Overview: Focuses on designing and managing the development of cities and rural areas.
- Recommended Additional Subject: History or Art, to understand cultural and aesthetic aspects of urban design.
- Institutions: Universities like the University of Cape Town and the North-West University offer reputable courses in this field.
3. Environmental Management
- Overview: Involves the study of sustainable management of resources and environmental conservation.
- Recommended Additional Subject: Life Sciences, to gain deeper insights into ecological systems and biodiversity.
- Institutions: Explore programs at the University of the Witwatersrand or Rhodes University.
4. Meteorology and Climatology
- Overview: The study of weather patterns and climate, including forecasting and climate change research.
- Recommended Additional Subject: Physical Sciences, for a better understanding of atmospheric physics and chemistry.
- Institutions: Consider courses at the University of Pretoria or the University of KwaZulu-Natal.
- Overview: The art and science of map-making, involving both creative design and technical accuracy.
- Recommended Additional Subject: Art or Engineering Graphics and Design (EGD), to enhance visual design and technical drawing skills.
- Institutions: Look into specialized courses at institutions like the Cape Peninsula University of Technology.
6. Geospatial Analyst
- Overview: Specializes in analyzing spatial data and geographic relationships using various technologies and methods.
- Recommended Additional Subject: Information Technology (IT) for advanced skills in data processing and software.
- Institutions: The University of Johannesburg and Stellenbosch University are known for their geospatial programmes.
7. Environmental Consulting
- Overview: Advising businesses and governments on environmental practices and sustainability issues.
- Recommended Additional Subject: Business Studies, to understand the economic and managerial aspects of environmental projects.
- Institutions: Explore courses at the Nelson Mandela University or the Tshwane University of Technology.
Choosing Geography and Pure Mathematics as part of your high school curriculum not only offers you a broad perspective on both the natural world and analytical reasoning but also opens the door to a diverse array of career opportunities. These subjects prepare you for roles that are increasingly vital in our rapidly changing world, especially in areas related to environmental management, urban planning, and data analysis. You also have the flexibility to adjust your optional subjects in Grades 10 and 11, and once more in Grade 12, to align your education with your career aspirations. This combination is a stepping stone to a future where you can make significant contributions to understanding and shaping our world. Embrace this blend of geographical knowledge and mathematical skills, and step into a career path where you can truly make a difference.
Don’t miss these:
APS Score Calculator
Did You See These?
- Careers for Music with Pure Mathematics Subject Choice: Study Options
- Careers for Design with Pure Mathematics Subject Choice: Study Options
- Careers for Computer Applications Technology with Pure Mathematics Subject Choice: Study Options
- Careers for Hospitality with Pure Mathematics Subject Choice: Study Options
- Careers for History with Pure Mathematics Subject Choice: Study Options
- Careers for Economics with Pure Mathematics Subject Choice: Study Options
- Careers for Consumer Studies with Pure Mathematics Subject Choice: Study Options
- Careers for Technical Mathematics with Pure Mathematics Subject Choice: Study Options
Send Us a WhatsApp Message
065 380 8708
My Courses Editor