Careers you can pursue with Math Literacy subject in South Africa: There are plenty of high-paying career fields with jobs that don’t require math or science in South Africa. Maths Literacy is not useless at all. On this page, you will see the list of Degrees, Diplomas, and Certificates that you can enroll for with just Math Literacy and not Mathematics as one of your subjects.
Mathematical Literacy subject can open many career doors when it comes to pursuing the career that you think you are born for. Although some careers like Engineering, Medicine, and Science exclusively require pure Mathematic subjects, there are still countless careers you can pursue with Mathematical Literacy as a subject choice.
One of the key characteristics of a mathematically literate individual is the ability to identify and apply appropriate mathematical and non-mathematical techniques needed to solve problems encountered in both familiar and unfamiliar contexts.
Watch Video: Maths Lit vs Pure Maths
List of Careers you can pursue with Math Literacy subject in South Africa
Education Degree: Math Literacy is ideal as it provides practical mathematical knowledge, which is beneficial for teaching and understanding educational methodologies, rather than the advanced theories in pure Mathematics.
Tourism Degree Courses: Math Literacy, with its focus on real-world applications, is more relevant for managing practical aspects like budgeting and scheduling in the tourism industry, compared to the abstract concepts in pure Mathematics.
Communications and Marketing Degree/Diploma Courses: These fields value practical numerical skills for market analysis and budget management, making Math Literacy more applicable than the complex theories of pure Mathematics.
Sociology Degree/Diploma Courses: Math Literacy aids in understanding societal trends and data, which is more pertinent for sociological studies than the in-depth mathematical theories and formulas in pure Mathematics.
Psychology Degree Courses: In psychology, Math Literacy is sufficient for statistical analysis and research methodology, offering a more relevant skillset than the high-level mathematical concepts in pure Mathematics.
Political Sciences Degree Courses: Math Literacy equips students with the ability to interpret data and understand statistical information, which is more crucial in political science than the advanced mathematical skills taught in pure Mathematics.
Writing Degree/Diploma Courses: For a career in writing, Math Literacy provides enough understanding of numerical data, which is often more useful than the intricate mathematical knowledge in pure Mathematics.
Art Degree/Diploma Courses: In art-related fields, Math Literacy is more than sufficient, as it offers practical skills for managing art projects and understanding proportions, unlike the complex calculations in pure Mathematics.
Fashion Degree Courses: The practical numerical skills offered by Math Literacy are ideal for budgeting, measurements, and scaling in fashion design, as opposed to the advanced mathematical concepts in pure Mathematics.
Human Resources BA Degree/Diploma Courses: Math Literacy is ideal for managing payroll, benefits calculation, and data analysis in HR, whereas pure Mathematics skills are generally not required.
Graphic Design Degree/Diploma Courses: Math Literacy provides essential skills for understanding dimensions, scaling, and budgeting in graphic design, making it more suitable than the complex theories in pure Mathematics.
Political Science Degree/Diploma Courses: Similar to political sciences, Math Literacy is more relevant for understanding electoral trends and political research, as opposed to the advanced mathematical skills in pure Mathematics.
List of Highest paying jobs with Maths Literacy and NOT Mathematics
We live in the 4th Industrial Revolution era, where Artificial Intelligence is increasingly becoming dominant, and people are mostly paid for the value they add in society, rather than their titles. Many glorious job titles which required mathematics subjects were worshiped in the 90s and 2000s. But today, that’s not the case.
It’s important to note that having Maths Literacy instead of Mathematics may limit one’s opportunities for certain high-paying jobs in South Africa. However, there are still many careers that do not require Mathematics specifically and can offer competitive salaries. Here are the highest-paying jobs with Maths Literacy in South Africa:
- Human Resources Manager – Average salary of R514,000 per year
- Marketing Manager – Average salary of R535,000 per year
- Sales Manager – Average salary of R553,000 per year
- Graphic Designer – Average salary of R157,000 per year
- Social Media Manager – Average salary of R199,000 per year
- Content Writer – Average salary of R184,000 per year
- Customer Service Manager – Average salary of R360,000 per year
- Business Development Manager – Average salary of R531,000 per year
- Public Relations Manager – Average salary of R429,000 per year
- Human Resources Business Partner – Average salary of R572,000 per yea
- Digital Marketer – Average salary of R297,000 per year
- User Experience Designer – Average salary of R442,000 per year
- Professor at a University – Average salary of R829,000 per year
- Interior Designer – Average salary of R211,000 per year
- Account Manager – Average salary of R340,000 per year
- Dental hygienist – Average salary of R227,000 per year
It’s worth noting that salaries can vary widely depending on the company, industry, and level of experience. Also, it’s important to remember that pursuing additional qualifications or training can improve one’s earning potential in any field.
Maths Lit FAQ
Can i become a Medical Doctor with Maths Lit
Can i become a Lawyer with Maths Lit
Can i become a Nurse with Maths Lit
Can i become a Paramedic with Maths Lit
Can I become a Pilot with Maths Lit
Can I become a Psychologist with Maths Lit
Study Psychology online.
Subjects Required to study Psychology in South Africa.
Highest Paying Jobs that don’t require Mathematics
Which universities accept Maths Literacy
If you are wondering what can i study at a university with Maths Literacy Grade 12, you should know that all universities in South Africa do accept Maths Literacy grade 12 subjects for most of their courses offered. However, other courses that normally require a higher APS score will need pure Mathematics Grade 12, such as Engineering and Sciences degrees or diplomas.
In South Africa, Maths literacy is a subject offered at the high school level and some universities may accept it as part of the matriculation requirements for admission. However, it is not typically offered as a standalone major or minor at universities. Some universities may have courses or programs that incorporate math literacy into other fields of study, such as education, business, or social sciences.
Here are some universities in South Africa that may accept Maths Literacy as part of the matriculation requirements for admission:
- University of South Africa (UNISA)
- University of Pretoria
- University of Cape Town
- University of Kwazulu-Natal
- University of the Witwatersrand
- University of Johannesburg
- Stellenbosch University
- Rhodes University
It’s important to note that each university may have different admission requirements, so it’s best to check with the specific university to confirm if Maths Literacy is accepted as part of the matriculation requirements for admission.
What to Study with Maths Literacy at Universities?
- What can i study with Maths Literacy and Life Sciences – Degrees and Diplomas in: Sport sciences, Nursing, and other health-related courses, except Medicine.
- What can i study with Maths Literacy and Business Studies – Degrees and Diplomas in: Business Management, Human Resources Management, Psychology, Logistics, and more.
- What can i study with Maths Literacy and Tourism – Degrees and Diplomas in: Tourism, Hotel Management, and more.
- What can i study with Maths Literacy and Accounting – Degrees and Diplomas in: Accounting, Auditing, Financial Management, and more
- What can i study with Maths Literacy and History – Degrees and Diplomas in: Historical Studies, Social Sciences, Sociology, Psychology and more
- What can i study with Maths Literacy and Geography – Degrees and Diplomas in: Records Management, Humanities and Social Sciences courses, and more
- What can i study with Maths Literacy and Economics – Degrees and Diplomas in: Economics, International Studies, Business Management, and more
Advantages of maths literacy
Maths Literacy has many advantages and benefits to learners as it gives learners who are not pure mathematics gurus a fair chance to study their favorite career choices. The subject of Mathematical Literacy enables the learner to become a self-managing person, a contributing worker and a participating citizen. The teaching and learning of Mathematical Literacy provides opportunities to analyse problems and devise ways to work mathematically in solving such problems. Opportunities to engage mathematically in this way assist learners to become astute consumers of the mathematics reflected in the media.
Below are the advantages of Mathematical Literacy subject:
- mathematical literacy involves authentic real-life contexts
- mathematical literacy involves solving familiar and unfamiliar problems
- mathematical literacy involves decision making and communication
- mathematical literacy involves the use of integrated content and/or skills in solving problems
Build a Career with Mathematics Literacy Subject
There are many career doors that Mathematics Literacy can open for you in South African Universities and Colleges: